Saturday 11 July 2009

Teaching Korean language in Singapore in the late 90's

When I first set foot in Singapore in the late 90’s, I noticed that the availability of Korean language courses was minimal. Educational institutes were reluctant to offer Korean language classes as it was not popular. No institutions wanted to use universities' textbooks and they used copied materials without proper curriculums or guide line from MOE(Ministry of Education). I was trying to understand as they find it troublesome to import the required books which were and are still costly or there were also questions raised over the teaching staff's ability to use such said books. However, regarding or respecting copyright was not an issue while I was working there and I was disappointed. I could just stay there to just teach, enjoy my popularity and earned money but I could not close my one eye to the wrong doing due to money or my carrier.

I quit my tenure with my previous insitution in mid-2003 without having my next teaching job due to some copyright issues. I still respect and thank the person who gave me the opportunity and promotes Korean language even though I was disappointed with the fact that the issue over copyrights was not talkable with same level of understanding in the developed country.

After my stint at the institution, I decided to give teaching a miss. But, a suggestion from former students that I teach the Korean language at university level instead, made me rethink my decision to give up teaching as a profession. I decided to explore the option of teaching the Korean language at university level. I believe that unlike a language institute, students would have access to better support, resources and exposure opportunities (such as via exchange programs) at the university level.